When you have bought or made your own Absinthe how to prepare it is the next issue because Absinthe is not like any other alcoholic beverage, it is usually served diluted with iced water. This is the traditional way of serving Absinthe. It is popular as “The Ritual” or “La Louche” and is easy to learn.
Absinthe How to Prepare using The Ritual
To perform the Ritual, you will need the following:-
– Absinthe – A good quality Absinthe containing real herbal ingredients such as wormwood, aniseed and fennel. One must get the Absinthe having the thujone content.
– An Absinthe glass – An antique Absinthe glass or replica one is required. AbsintheKit sell replicas of antiques like Pontarlier glasses and Eiffel Tower spoons.
– A slotted Absinthe spoon (also known as a cuillere).
– A cube of sugar.
– Take iced water in an Absinthe fountain or in a carafe.
Instructions for preparing the perfect Absinthe drink:-
– Pour 25-50ml of Absinthe into the glass.
– A cube of sugar is needed to be placed the resting Absinthe spoon.
– Slowly drip iced water over the sugar either by dripping from the tap of the fountain or by using a steady hand to pour from a carafe. Dripping it slowly will help in the sugar to dissolve and drip through the slots of the spoon. As the water is mixed into the alcohol a “louche” effect is visible. The Absinthe louches because the essential oils of the herbs are soluble in alcohol but not in water and so make the mixture cloudy or milky when water is added.
– Sit back and enjoy the Green Fairy, as Absinthe is commonly known.
The Bohemian or Czech Method
This method of preparing Absintheis not traditional but is a modern way of preparing cheap Czech Absinthes. The Bohemian method is disliked by lots of Absinthe followers.
You will need:-
– Get an Absinthe glass
– Take an Absinthe slotted spoon
– A cube of sugar is needed
– A lighter or match
– Iced water
Instructions and tips for using the Bohemian method:-
– Pour 25-50ml of Absinthe into the glass and dip the sugar cube into it to soak the sugar.
– Keep sugar cube on the Absinthe spoon and rest it on the rim of the glass.
– The sugar cube should be kept alight for sometime to caramelize and melt. A person will need a spoon to drip sugar into the Absinthe.
– One has to keep the spoon into the Absinthe and pour the iced water into it for releasing the flames and causing the Absinthe to louche.
– Absinthe drink can be enjoyed like this.
* Care should be taken with this method because the Absinthe in the glass may set alight too *
Absinthe can also be used in many cocktails. It was called as “Death in the Afternoon” by Ernest Hemingway who liked mixing it with champagne.
Various mysteries, stories and legends are there focusing on different features of Absinthe. Now it is ready to give the enjoyment to the drinker.